Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I am, or at least i feel like, a senior citizen...

Ewan and i went to a friend's 21st birthday party on Saturday evening, it was a lovely party, HOWEVER. It made me feel in a word. OLD. Here's me at the ripe old age of 26, sitting amongst all these tiny little, skinny, little, thin little 18-20 year olds feeling old. I went and got myself, what i thought was quite a snappy outfit, from Truworths (you can't go much wrong there - or so i thought) and when i arrived, i realised that all the other girls were wearing pretty much the same thing, just in different colours....and what they were wearing was NOT my outfit. How have i missed this fashion trend??? Not that i could have fitted into any of the teeeny, tiny little teeny-bopper frocks but still. I feel like somewhere, somehow i have lapsed into this weird phase of life, somwhere between the teeny boppers and the parents of the teeny boppers...is this a late twenties crisis??? I was happy to note that Carin who was also there, and is the same age as me, was not wearing the 'standard frock' either. obviously, they hide clothes like that from people of 'our age'.....

Isn't it funny how things don't appeal to you as much as they used to as you get older?? Or is that just me? Watching my poor friend drinking his down-down, and then suseqently 'chundering' it into the bushes, this weird, almost maternal feeling came over me, and i felt really sorry for him!! I wanted to rush to his aid and hand him some of the lavendar-scented wet-wipes i had stored safely in my handbag and offer him a glass of water and send him off to bed with a corenza C and a disprin!! I didn't find it even vaguely funny, but a few years ago i would have been laughing my head off. AAAh how times and things change. Listening to his friends and older brother, telling stories about him and his drinking exploits made me feel really sorry for him, hearing how they had 240 shots of 'super c' (whatever that is, back in MY DAY it was a type of 'healthy' sweet with vitamin C in it!!) just made me think, 'gosh how dumb, they could have got alcohol poisoning.' What has happened to me? Before, the first thought that would have popped into my head would have been 'nooo waaay, i wish i'd been there' or something to that effect in any case.

Then, we moved on to the dancing phase of the evening...after the speeches and food, i was feeling ready to drink a cup of tea and snuggle up on the couch, and i realised it was time to have a bit of a dance. Somehow, i have missed out on a whole other style of dancing it seems too....this kind of weird like, dance while holding your drink thing...trying to explain it would just be silly. In any event, we found ourselves floating further and further into the corner of the dance floor with the parents of the teeny boppers...and you know what, i felt comfortable there!!
His dad put on the home video and i was watching him grow from a baby to a man and it brought a tear to my eye realising that i too will be at my son's 21st birthday one day, and then i will be REALLY old.....
aaah, how being a parent changes things...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post, I am almost 100% in agreement with you