Sunday, April 15, 2007

Do you want some of my koek?

Yesterday we had Daniel's 1st birthday party, which means, our friends, my family (ie my mom and dad) and Ewan's family (his mom, dad and 1 of the 3 brothers and his wife and their new little baby - who is absolutely gorgeous) all in the same venue.

I find this whole party thing very tiring. All the prep starts like 3 days before hand, buying little bits of stuff here and there, and then i realised, horror of all horrors, that it's Friday before the party and i haven't made the koek!! So the tin gets booked, and collected and i spend the afternoon of an all ready mental day making Dan (who doesn't even know what cake is) a winnie the pooh cake. 

I then iced the winnie the pooh cake, which is a very long task, because you have to use one of those icing syringe thingies (check me using fancy baking terminology....) and cover the entire cake in teeny tiny little star shaped blobs.  I started icing the cake at about 8:30pm and finished at around 1am.  Man alive.  Here is winnie the pooh in all his glory.

Everyone starts arriving and it becomes abundantly clear to me that the party was actually for Caleb, who all ready asked me if he could 'borrow' his brother's birthday.  He had his little 'girlfriend' over and the two of them were making ovaries explode left right and centre, by being completely adorable.  He likes to feed people, she likes to be fed.  They both like to hug and kiss, so they spent a fair amount of time holding each other's hands and Caleb fed her flings on demand.  They even had a little phone conversation earlier on, Allegra actually asked if she could phone Caleb.  The phone conversation went something like this:-

Allegra's Dad:- 'Hi Clair!  Uhm, can my daughter please speak to your son?'

Clair:- 'Sure'

*hands phone over*

Caleb:- 'Hullo Legga!!!  Are you coming to Dan's party?'

Allegra:- 'Is it Danny's birthday?'

Caleb:- 'Ya!  Are you coming to my home?'

Allegra:- 'I wuv you Caleb'

Caleb:- 'I love you Legga!'

*completely unakward toddler silence*

Caleb:- 'I love you Legga!  Bye Legga!'

Allegra:- 'Bye Caleb i wuv you caleb.'

*PoP* <- The sound of Clair's ovaries exploding.

The party started at 3 and everyone left at about 6.  Then there was the standard post party clean up, which involved no washing of dishes!  I love my dishwasher.  But i had to vacuum up all the bits of red icing that covered the floor and then have a bit of a mop.  We have enough party food left over to have another party!  There is like 3/4 of the cake left, plus sausage rolls and chocolate muffins, and philly cheese and sweet chilli sauce and milk tart the list goes on and on and on.  What a waste!! 

I went to bed absolutely fried. 

Thank the good Lord kids only have one birthday party each.

*collapse in a heap*

No comments: